Saturday 19 January 2019

posing - What are your tips for guiding an inexperienced model?


I find myself in this kind of situation a lot. I'll be photographing someone who doesn't have a whole lot of modeling experience, but they want me to take photos of them (ie, a friend while on vacation, engagement photos, etc).



I say these things now:



  • Stand with one foot in front of the other, to slim the profile

  • For a man, squat and look up, to avoid double chins (apparently, not a flattering pose for a woman)

  • In bright sunlight, close eyes and then open on the count of 3 to avoid squint

  • For a couple, have the man hold the woman from behind

  • For a couple, have them touch foreheads (and then wait to see where they go from there, usually works pretty well once they get over the giggles)


I think I need more in my bag of tricks to guide these models around. What are some of your best model guidance tricks?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...