Thursday 31 January 2019

equipment recommendation - Screw-in or square filters in the field?


I currently carry a circular polarizer and a screw-in 4X ND with me in the field. I've decided it's time to upgrade my filters, because there are too many times when I really need an 8X ND (or more) and even though you can stack the polarizer, that's not a perfect option.


So I'm looking at what I should be doing in terms of carrying filters in the field. I'm currently leaning away from screw-in filters and towards the 100mm square (aka "Cokin P") filter sets for the NDs, because as you get it darker and darker, focus is an issue, and the square filters are easier to attach after you set up without affecting the rest of the setup.


The other option is the "vari-ND" style of screw in filters. I know the Singh-Rays come highly recommended, but are beyond what I want to spend right now.


So do you carry screw-ins or square? What mounting system do you use? Which brands do you use and recommend? Cokin is decent, but I'm thinking I want to use glass squares and a higher quality than the Cokin filters. Is there a vari-ND in the $100-150 range that is worth evaluating?



Answer



I think you can only get subjective answers on this, different things will appeal to different people. I'll give you my experience.





  • I have a polarising filter on my main lenses rather than a UV. If it's low light, or I otherwise don't need it, I remove it temporarily, but it always goes back on. I use the polarising filter all the time, so I don't like to fumble around for it. I don't think I could get used to using Cokin style polarising filters, as often as I use my screw in ones, because it would slow me down I think.




  • for ND filters, I do use the 100mm Cokin style. I find they scratch pretty easily, and so I've bought inexpensive chinese ones (Tian Ya). Unless I'm set up to do a lot of images in one spot, I rarely bother to put on the holder - instead I usually hand hold the filter over the lens. The one Cokin style filter than I think is indespensible is the grad ND. It's just not very versatile in a screw in form - graduation is dead centre and you can't move it if your horizon is 1/3 from top or bottom for instance.




  • I have considered buying an inexpensive vary-ND. I don't have high hopes that the quality will be that good. Even with Singh Rays you can get vignetting and funny color shifts at extreme densities and with wider angle lenses.





  • I find the Cokin style filters are bulky, awkward to carry in my bag, and as a result (apart from occasionally pulling one out and holding it over the lens) they don't get as much use as I'd like. I tend to do a lot of walking/hiking, so I don't tend to take a tripod and take the time to set up properly, so maybe it's just me. If I try to use the Cokin holder and filters I end up fumbling and dropping them, getting finger marks all over them, scratching them. Something to think about before you buy expensive glass ones - all depends on you and how/where you work.




  • I have a thin holder on my 12-24mm and I get very slight vignetting in the corners at 12mm. If you do a lot of WA shots, you may want the larger format (170mm?).




  • a lot of people I know think Lee make better filters and holders, but I've not tried them out myself.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...