Saturday 26 January 2019

portrait - How to take great night shots with a subject in the foreground and a cityscape behind?


I have Canon Rebel XS (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens). I have been trying to take decent night photographs for a while. But it seems to take a lot of effort. Can we take good night shots without a tripod? Also a slight motion in subject is leading to blur due to high exposure times. But if I reduce the exposure time, I cannot properly capture the landscape behind. Can you provide some guidance for taking great night shots?



I am looking for scenario where downtown is in the background and person is in front. I am not much interested in taking pictures of moon and stars. I would be also interested to know how we take good shots of landscapes just with moonlight.


I am including the picture I took with Chicago downtown in the background and my friend in the foreground. It came out decent, but it took a lot of effort and even then it was blurry. Hope this gives you a good idea of the kind of picture I am trying to take. alt text



Answer



I too am keen to see some more answers to this, in the mean-time here is my contribution:


A tripod (or at least some sort of support) has got to be a "must have" for this sort of night photography:



  • Reduced camera shake means sharper images

  • Lower ISO settings mean less grainy images

  • Longer exposure times can also give interesting effects (for example with car lights)



I don't have any fast lenses so I can't say how much of a difference a fast lens will make, however I know that proper support makes a big difference! :-)


I've seen bean bags suggested as a suitable tripod alternative for when travelling, also depending on where you are you might also get away with resting your camera on walls or benches (however you will find that your photo opportunities are far more limited)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...