Sunday 27 January 2019

What legal restrictions to photography are there in European countries?


I'm from Ukraine, and I know where I can shoot here and when. I had few trips to USA where I know it's very difficult to shoot on the street, without encroaching on someone else's private life.


I plan a travel to some of the European countries soon, but I don't know what I can shoot, and what can I not?


Is there any proper information (e.g. government website or article) about photography rules in European countries? Is there any difference between photography rules in, for example, Germany and the Czech Republic?




Answer



I live in the Czech Republic, and travelled a little bit around neighouring countries. As for the legal situation, I know we have a freedom of panorama. Practically, I don't remember having any issues with protographing stuff around me, even though there are some private and publicly accessible spaces (like shopping centers), where photography is forbidden, in which case it's probably better not to fight local security when they want you to stop taking pictures.


As a tourist I've recently been to Austria, Germany, Italy, and the UK, and it was completely fine everywhere except for the UK, where some local security guard didn't like me taking the following photo of security-camera-loaded train station. (I didn't quite understand what he was exactly saying, but he let me be after I said sorry and put the camera away.)



(source: mokrakocicka.cz)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...