Tuesday 29 November 2016

Does an APS-C lens label itself with effective or true focal length?



I'm not sure if I've phrased this correctly, but I've just purchased two prime lenses:




  • Nikkor 50mm f1.8/G (FX)

  • Nikkor 35mm f1.8/G (DX)


I know that the effective focal length of the 50mm FX lens is actually 50 x 1.5 = 75mm, because I'm shooting with an APS-C sensor.


What I'm curious to know is: when I purchased the 35mm DX lens, is that truly a 35mm length or is it 35 x 1.5 = 52.5mm? In other words, when I use a DX lens must I still do the same crop factor calculation as when I use an FX series lens? Would a 35mm FX lens on a full-frame camera "be the same" as a 35mm DX lens on an APS-C camera?


For clarity: FX lenses are Nikon's full frame lenses while DX are their APS-C series of lenses.



Answer



35mm is the true focal length. You still need to multiply it by 1.5 to get the equivalent focal length.


If you would put it on FF Nikon body, it would show vignetting (because it was designed to cover just the DX sensor).


If you were to use the more expense FF version of the 35mm lens on a DX camera, it would look the same (apart of course for differences due to lens quality) as the DX lens on the DX body.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...