Monday 28 November 2016

travel - How can I get a 'touristy' photo of myself when travelling alone?


I'll shortly be travelling to new york and staying with a friend (but mostly touring on my own). As much as I enjoy regular photography my only regret from my last holiday is that I didn't have any photos of myself there! So I'd like to take some touristy photos of myself infront of some of the big landmarks.


I've got a crop sensor Canon with my widest lens being 18mm and a point and shoot, neither of which give me a wide enough shot hand held at arms length. I've considered hiring a wider lens, using a wide angle filter, asking others or putting the camera down and using timer but I was wondering if anyone had better solutions?



Answer




I once saw someone taking this kind of picture using a light monopod. He hand-held the monopod and used the camera's self-timer to get the shot. The camera was a Point and Shoot. He sometimes used street objects such as park benches, trash cans, cars, etc, to help reduce camera shake.


The monopod was used just to avoid being so close to the camera, it was still being handheld. I asked him what he was doing and he showed me some of the pictures. He had some practice doing it because he had some real good shots. In most shots he tried to frame himself with elbows out of the picture, thus hiding the monopod!


Hope this helps! ['O]


Update:


Later on, I implemented this idea myself. I made a "selfie stick" with a short length of pvc pipe and a very small and cheap tripod head. I used it with a small camera (aprox weight 1 lb/0.5 kilogram) and a remote wired shutter. I added a bicycle handlebar grip for aesthetics and comfort. The remote shutter was affixed to the pipe by using elastic bands (the ones normally used for hair).


I had to resort to his because there are no "Selfie sticks" compatible enough with mi particular camera, and at the time this question was posted, those sticks existed but where not so popular yet, but there are many ready made solutions nowadays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...