Wednesday 23 November 2016

Scanner to replace Epson Perfection 2400 Photo?


I'm looking to replace my older scanner, an Epson 2400 Photo. I mostly scan in old photos and 5x7 art prints. The scan resolution on this model (2400x4800) was good when purchased, but is now bested by even the cheapest Epson models (V30/V33).



My question is...what would be the best scanner for me? A basic V33? A higher up V500? I can't really tell what the benefits of the higher models are besides a slightly better scan resolution, and the ability to scan slides and negatives.


I don't mind paying more it it'll be meaningful for my needs, but I need help figuring that out. :-)


Thanks for any advice you guys might have. I REALLY appreciate it.



Answer



How often do you scan at 2400x4800 DPI? My guess is that you don't -- ever, for any practical purpose. The simple fact is that virtually no input contains anywhere close to that fine of detail. Most photographic prints, for example, are only good for around 300 DPI at most (and 150-200 is more realistic in most cases).


Unless you're really using the highest resolution of which your current scanner is capable, you're unlikely to gain much (if anything) by buying a newer scanner.


I suppose, however, I should add that I'm on only my second scanner ever. When I did replace my old one, it wasn't for higher resolution -- it was simply because the company that made it no longer provides drivers. While the scanner was/is perfectly good, it wasn't good enough to convince me to run Windows 2000 or MacOS 9 for the rest of my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...