Sunday 20 November 2016

Why isn't my Nikon D3400 freezing motion even with the shutter set to ¹⁄₄₀₀₀th of a second in View Finder Mode?


I got a Nikon 3400 in May. While shooting some water droplets I noticed the droplets contain motion blur even at the highest shutter speed settings. So I tried to verify this by clicking a pic of the ceiling fan [In India]. I might not know the exact speed of the fan, but I am sure as hell the fan does not do more than 4000 rotations per second. And yet, I get motion blur on the fan. Images attached.


Is my camera broken? Should I get it repaired? Or am I not understanding something?



Image Settings:
Mode: Manual
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/4000 sec
ISO : 25600 (It was indoor)
Focus: Manual
Metering: Spot


Update: The problem does not occur when I click the image in Live View Mode. The image appears darker and the motion is frozen. But When I switch to View Finder mode, something's not right.


Added Settings Images.


Shooting Menu Page 1 Shooting Menu Page 2 Shooting Menu Page 3

Shot in Live View with 1/4000, f/5.6, ISO-25600 Above Image: Shot in Live View with 1/4000, f/5.6, ISO-25600

Shot in View finder mode with 1/4000, f/5.6, ISO-25600 Shot in View finder mode with 1/4000, f/5.6, ISO-25600



PS: I checked the image properties and all the settings and details are exactly same. The camera does not show any change in the shutter speed value it displays.


Update: Check out the experiment at http://atulbhats.com/cam-demo



Answer



Finally!


The Nikon Service center was able to solve it after trial and error replacing each and every part. The replacement that worked was with Aperture Control which even the service guy was not sure was wrong.


But it did the trick!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...