Friday 18 November 2016

history - Who is the (contemporary) photographer using an old bellows camera?


I have read about a photographer (possibly working for/collaborating with the National Geographic society) who was using (not uniquely, of course) an old style bellows camera for his shoots. He went on to comment that this archaic instrument gave him, as I am sure one could expect, a rather unique feeling when shooting.


I have also a vague recollection that he may have done some portrait works for famous people (think US politicians).



This has been fascinating me, but unfortunately I have been unable to find his name again. I am reasonably sure not to have imagined it all. Maybe someone recalls the name, or even knows him directly :-), or at least can give me some pointers...



Answer



It's David Burnett, he was recently seen photographing the 2012 London Olympics with his Graflex Speed Graphic


http://www.lomography.com/magazine/lifestyle/2012/08/09/david-burnett-an-analogue-view-of-the-olympics


Here's a great video of him going through his bag and talking about his gear: https://vimeo.com/13036394


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...