Friday 19 August 2016

equipment recommendation - Mirrorless camera vs. mid-range DSLR — how to decide?


I am in the market for a new mid-range camera for still images (not video). I am currently a Canon T2i user.


I originally posted the question as: Olympus EM-1 vs. Nikon D7100. But that got me thinking, there is a broader question with no clear answer I could find.


Mirrorless cameras are the latest trend and I don't want to spend more than $2000 on the camera alone. I have been trying to compare the best mirrorless vs. DSLR cameras. But more research has left me confused; mirrorless cameras are still new in the market (thus, lenses are limited, maybe expensive) and DSLRs are considered dinosaurs.


In mirrorless cameras, the Olympus EM-1, Fuji XT-1, and Sony A7 stand out in the price range. But the Fuji XT lens selection is very limited and the Sony A7 is too expensive. I really like the Fuji XT-1 dial setup but the lenses are few.


Additionally, various review sites I have been to rate the Olympus EM-1 as the top mirrorless camera in that range.


The Nikon D7100 is a standout DSLR offering a wide dynamic range and is the best mid-range DSLR when it comes to images. However, I am more concerned about the weight of the body itself (close to 1 kg). But it also has the advantage of a larger megapixel file.



There is very little information regarding any comparisons between the Nikon D7100 and Olympus EM-1. Snapsort gives the EM-1 a rating that I find is too low. I think SLR lenses can be attached to mirrorless bodies, which can drive down cost.


Has anyone done any analysis as far as photos are concerned? Any useful head-to-head comparison/sites/experiences will be welcomed.


Points to consider



  1. Image quality (details)

  2. Camera performance in low light

  3. Lens variety and affordability

  4. Landscape and architecture photography (stupid point, still I added)

  5. Ease of use (includes weight), durability

  6. Budget (including lenses) should not exceed $3000



Snapsort comparison : here


Top mirrorless comparison: link2




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...