Friday 5 August 2016

Does specialty film scanner software provide any real benefits over bundled applications?


I've recently just bought an Epson Perfection V330 to scan my B&W negatives (being charged $15 a roll by the lab is way too much) so that I can do some light post-processing in Lightroom or Photoshop and possibly print some of them.


I've tried using the provided Epson Scan software for Mac and it works alright, with my only qualm (aside from the horrible interface) being that the dust removal feature doesn't seem to work very well. I took a look around the Internet and found VueScan and SilverFast which seem to be the top choices.


I tried a demo of them and the software dust removal feature isn't significantly better to warrant me forking out the extra cash. So I'm wondering whether there's anything else these application provide that sets them apart from the provided Epson Scan software?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...