Tuesday 30 August 2016

digital - Does the number of shots differ dramatically between an amateur and a pro?


Recently I went on a trip and took around 400 shots and I thought they are all great, and unfortunately most of them went into trash and approximately 30 pictures considered as a top-notch shots. The other shots didn't have a good frame or some of them were blurry and/or too dark (I'm trying not use live view at all and use M mode most of the time). The question I'm asking from pro photographers is whether a pro takes that many shots? Am I too amateur? Or is this a normal procedure and even a pro will purge many of his/her shots into the trash and give them 1-star?




EDIT:
30 good shots in my amateur point of view is pictures like below that is taken by me:


https://500px.com/photo/130530449/imprisoned-autumn-by-alireza-hosaini https://500px.com/photo/130531969/live-or-die-by-alireza-hosaini https://500px.com/photo/130531329/life-in-golden-autumn-by-alireza-hosaini



Answer



I used to be a pro, so I can answer this:


This is absolutely normal; it is even very good!


I consider 30 good pics out of 400 a very good result! The most important point is IMHO that you go over your shots and select. The "reflection process" is important. It is the place where you learn to take good pictures. This is what most amateurs don't do. And this is what separates you from amateurs. It's not whether you use live view or M mode. (My personal opinion is to use live view and P mode when they deliver the best results.)



Let me add an anecdote from a visit to the photokina (It was probably 1982 or 1986): There was a photographer presenting his works and they were really good stuff. He was asked the question how he does it to get that many good shots. His answer was:



I have a miracle box at home. I can grab into that box and take out a bad picture. Again, I can grab into that box and get another bad picture. Again and again and again.
This box contains all the pictures that didn't make it. And this box is usually quite full.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...