Tuesday 23 August 2016

lens - Canon 70-200/2.8 IS (mk1) VS 70-200/4 IS


Currently debating which of these lens to get. The f/4 does have the advantage of being lighter, and there have been reviews that it's sharper than the f/2.8 wide open or with both at f/4.


Rather than try to tell me which is better for MY needs, I'd like to hear about your own experience with these lenses, what your requirements are of them, and how you feel they met your requirements.


Any comments about or experience with the 70-200/2.8 IS II is also more than welcome.



Answer



Although I cannot comment on the f/4 lens, I am absolutely in love with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. Since buying it last year, it became my preferred portrait lens, delivering beautiful bokeh and great sharpness (esp. when my reference is the 28-135mm kit lens). It certainly met my expectations. That said, I knew that it doesn't set a world record in sharpness, so I am prepared for some (very little, don't get me wrong) compromise.


It is considerably more bulky than the f/4 and I recommend you go to the photo store near you to see them both side by side.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...