Tuesday 2 August 2016

equipment recommendation - What size lens is recommended for flying bird photography?


My wife has a Canon 450D and a 70-300 lens for long distance shots.


I am considering a present or two and good advice from jrista suggests possible upgrade of camera to a Canon 7D and of lens to a Canon EF100-400 or Canon EF400 (I do like Canon). This will result in quite a large investment in my wife’s photographic future and I would like to get it right.


I would, therefore, welcome any further advice from jrista and any other users who may be able to assist me in my quest.


If I were only able to get one of the presents, which should I choose?



Answer



I'm not a bird photographer but whenever I travel with amateur birders, they almost always use the Sigma 50-500mm. As Jrista said, you lose in terms of quality but versatility-wise it is hard to beat.


The question is where the images go, if it's for small prints or web-use, you may not notice the difference. If it's for a gallery, you'll have to get something better and probably heavier.


When I take a group to Ecuador, we spend two shoots (sunset & sunrise) at a bird-lodge sanctuary. The species are quite small, particularly the hummingbirds everyone goes to see there. Those who max-out before 400mm (like me) didn't get many closeups, except near the bird-feeders where you can get really really close. At least, I'm not there for the birds ;) Those who don't want to shoot birds, get to have fun photographing Orchids instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...