Sunday 10 July 2016

lightroom - How can I make HDR images without the cartoon look?


I am processing some photos intended to show HDR and I mainly want to bring out all the tones of a scene, which is why I took three bracketed shots to begin with.



But pushing the detail pretty quickly turns it into the bright "disneyland" acid trip that got really popular on flickr a few years ago. That sort of thing has its place, but it's not what I'm going for right now


What's a good workflow for using bracketed exposures and using them to create another photograph that simply has better exposure? I'm going for subtle not "wow colors!1!1!!! join my hdr stream!"


Currently just selected my three exposures in Lightroom and clicked "edit in HDR Pro in Photoshop"


I'm not sure what the current tools are for HDR, either. I remember reading about avoiding these automated things because they are not "true HDR" or something about tonemapping. That's great; now how do I use some good tools to get the dynamic range I'm looking for?


With HDRPro in Photoshop, 32bit mode seems to be automatically creating results closer to what I imagine. But this doesn't give me any latitude to adjust exposure, etc., before further processing.



Answer



What you are looking for Exposure Fusion not HDR.


This averages out pixels from different exposures to produce directly a low-dynamic-range image, so there is not need to do the tone-mapping like for HDR images. Tone-mapping is the delicate operation where, without a subtle hand, you end up with the types of images you are talking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...