Thursday 7 July 2016

adapter - Is it possible to adapt lens from one brand into another brand's body?



I'm thinking about buying my first DSLR (I have no experience) and was thinking about the lens brand issue. I'm thinking I should buy a Pentax Kx because of it's cost-effective value, but I'm wondering if some time from now I'll end up spending more because I decided to change platforms, know what I mean?
So the question is: is there any way I could adapt lenses from Nikon or Canon into a Pentax body and what are the implications of doing this?



Answer



Theoretically yes. It depends on the flange focal distance for this given bayonet mount. You can mount, say, Nikkor F lens to Canon body. Nikon F lens have longer flange focal distance and even mounted on top of a Canon mount (farther away from the film than the original canon lens) will still be close enough to the film (sensor) to focus to the infinity. But not vice versa, because Canon EF bayonet has a shorter flange focal distance and Canon lens will not be able to focus to the infinity on Nikon bodies.



Practically no. You loose all coupling - aperture, focusing and often metering. Precise manual focusing on modern non-pro SLR is barely possible; metering will be just a guess and manual aperture will make things unbearable.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...