Thursday 2 April 2015

weather - How do you photograph rain?


What are recommended settings for my Nikon Coolpix P1 to best portray rain?


Here's what I got. No retouching was applied.



  • The picture I took when the rain was heavy with the automatic settings:

    Picture taken with



  • The picture I took with the "Sports" program; by then, however, the rain was not as hard.

    Picture taken with

    Ugh, ugly gray strip at the bottom, that was the flat surface I put my camera on to get a stable picture.



My main problem is that the actual rain and hailstorm is very hard to see in the picture. The overall effect is, instead, of fog.




Follow-up from the thread, courtesy of more rain, now with less hailstorm and more thunder.


The feedback amounted to flash and faster shutter. I took a few photos and I'm having some trouble to reconstruct what I did to get each result. Two representative results:



  • Fast shutter, with some guest starring:

    I'm talking about that horrible building obviously.


  • Faster shutter and flash:

    alt text

    Kinda difficult to say those pictures were taken sixty seconds of each other. :)



I'm not sure, however, that either of this is really an improvement of the original results.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...