Tuesday 28 April 2015

Does "long exposure noise reduction" option make any difference when shooting RAW?



I can configure my camera (5D) to use long exposure noise reduction (dark frame is exposed and subtracted), but is this method really effective when shooting RAW? Or is the actual subtraction only done when shooting JPEG?



Answer



Wasn't really intended this way (and I didn't have this information when I asked the question), but my experience shows different results. I made a 556-second exposure at ISO 400 with lens cap on and long exposure noise reduction switched on and RAW+JPEG configured. The results are 100% crops with no additional processing applied.


In-camera JPEG: alt text


Canon DPP (noise reduction disabled): alt text


Adobe Camera RAW (noise reduction disabled): alt text


Adobe Camera RAW + Topaz Denoise (RAW-moderate setting): alt text


My conclusion is that there is no point shooting only RAW with long exposure noise reduction on (expose and subtract dark frame) as it doubles exposure time and its effect is questionable unless done by the camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...