Sunday 19 April 2015

hotshoe flash - Can the Canon 5D Mark IV wirelessly trigger a single remote 430EX III-RT?


I've just got my hands on the brilliant 5D Mark IV and understood that it had a built in wireless flash trigger. I was hoping this might link to my Speedlite 430EX III-RT and allow me to use my (single) flash wirelessly off-camera, without having to buy a radio transmitter or additional wireless flash.


I've tried to set this up, but the link indicator on the flash is showing red (not connected) and I'm not sure if the camera is really capable of this mode of operation.



Would appreciate your guidance.



Answer



The specs do include Radio transmission wireless flash shooting among the features, so I can see how you got that impression. But they also list Optical transmission wireless flash shooting despite the fact that the 5DmkIV doesn't have the built-in flash that would be necessary for optically triggering an off-camera Speedlite. I can see how it might be confusing that they list both those features even though the optical and radio triggers aren't built in, but notice that they're listed under the heading External Flash Settings; like other recent EOS bodies, the 5DmkIV can control many of the settings of compatible flash units through the camera's menu system, including which trigger system you want to use.


Just as you need to connect a Speedlight that can work as an master unit to trigger other units with Canon's optical system, you also need a radio-capable master unit connected to the camera to trigger other units using the radio system.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...