Monday 16 September 2019

cleaning - How do I protect my camera in a smoke filled environment?


I'm going to start a new project soon, "People in bars". I think it will be fun, and I think I'll capture a lot of interesting faces.


The thing is, bars are harsh environments for DSLRs. Obviously, there's protecting the camera from someone bumping into you, attempting to beat you with it, spilling a drink on it, and so on.


However, what will all of the smoke do to my lenses and sensor?



Normally, I would just use a discreet prime, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get the shots I want without making myself overly conspicuous. I'm considering my 18-105 or possibly 18-70mm, but those things suck in air (and smoke) as your adjust the focal length.


I'm guessing the same problem exists when shooting in some industrial settings. How do you protect your camera and lenses from excessive airborne pollutants?



Answer



At least higher-end DSLR bodies and lenses have dust seals around controls, so if you're using one of those and avoid changing lenses in lot of smoke you should be fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...