Monday 30 September 2019

business - I keep getting asked to do wedding photography - what is a fair price to ask?


This may sound like a silly post...but, I need some "outside" opinion from people who know what they are doing.


I took up amateur photography as a hobby a couple of years ago...most of it being portrait photography of my children. As I have posted my pictures on facebook, a plethora of people have loved my "work" and have been contacting me about my "photography" business. I have been very up-front and honest with every one of them about only being an amateur, and never professionally trained. That being said, people still hound me to take their pictures. I am comfortable with my ability to take portrait style pictures....and I have even started charging $60 for a two hour shoot with the rights to the cd of prints. I do not do my own printing.


Now, I have done three weddings for family members just over this last summer....and only as a wedding gift to them (in other words, I have not charged.) But now, I am having others, who are not family members, wanting to "hire" me for their weddings. Again....I have tried to tell them I don't do professional photography, only to be met with all of them still wanting to hire me.


My question is...what is a fair price to ask of these people? They obviously still want me to work for them, knowing that I have no credentials.....but I have no idea how or what to charge for. Can anyone give me some ideas?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...