Sunday 29 September 2019

image quality - What causes these streaked rays from light sources?


I recently bought an LG G4, whose camera can shoot in an auto and both manual mode (I can manually set the iso, aperture). I shoot 100% of the time in auto.


It takes better than average photos at night but when in Seville one night the photos it took were a disaster. Please see this example:


enter image description here



I find the background lighting was captured very well, but the light sources totally screwed up the photo.


Why is this happening? The lens was clean. What can I do to improve the quality of the future photos in this situation?


Attached 2 other photos taken before and after this problematic one (couple of hours distance). They seem fairly in the same conditions (direct light) yet the photos are decent.


enter image description here enter image description here



Answer



In my opinion that "flare" is caused by a dirty lens. I'm guessing you attempted to clean it, by using a wipe, but failed to properly clean it, which is why the flare has directionality.


Try using a micro fibre cloth. I recently bought some that are designed for use in the kitchen, and it set me back by only a single dollar.


I use these for cleaning my belongings all the time, which for example include a cell phone, glasses, and handheld electronic devices. It could also just be the result of condensation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...