Thursday 19 September 2019

equipment recommendation - Photographing Older Documents


I'm doing a project with a historical group. They have a nice collection of diaries, and want to digitize them, but haven't found anyone interested in doing it, even if they pay them. Some of the items date to the 1700's, and are fragile. So, it looks like it will be me. We've thought of just scanning them. but that requires flattening them, and I'm not sure they would survive. Preservation isn't supposed to preserve at the cost of destruction.


I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3. When I purchased it, it was rated the highest for non-flash, low light photography, and it has done a fantastic job on older documents in various repositories that do not allow flash photography. Those projects, however, have been for me, and I could drop, etc. I just thought it might be easier to set it up so that all I needed to do was turn the page, and eliminate all of the cropping.


Are there any suggestions on how to photograph, and what equipment to purchase? The goal is to sell a CD with the original documents, as well as volunteer transcriptions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...