Thursday 29 August 2019

How to take quality photos of products?


I have a product I want to sell online but when I take a picture of it, it has some sort of a background so it never looks quite professional. What I want to be able to do is take pictures which look like this.



I have experience using green screens with videos, would using a green screen by a good way of removing the background?


Any tips would be very much appreciated.



Answer



This subject has been broadly discussed online. For example here and here , and it seems it all comes down to:



  1. Using a seamless white background

  2. Using enough light to eliminate shadows - two or 3 lights setups are recommended.


I have tried it, and I was able to produce good results with a single sheet of white paper (a few bucks at a hobby store) and some desk lamps. Of course the better the light the more likely you are to produce a good photo, but if you don't want to spend a lot of money, just some ikea desk lamps will do. (Use some form of diffuser on them to soften the light)


EDIT: I must add that with my setup I usually can get a pretty good shot in camera, but then I have to tweak it in post and lighten highlights etc, so I recommend shooting RAW if you're not.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...