Wednesday 7 August 2019

file management - How can I change the image counter on my Canon Sx240?


I use one monthly folder. My image counter was about 2300 (after a full loop... when will they use 5 digits?). When inserting my SD card to another Canon and back to mine, the image counter is now about 8000, in a new folder for the same month. Even after deleting the new images, folder, and .CFG file, my camera won't restore to the previous numbering.


What should I do?


I don't want to reformat my huge memory card. The issue in large number jump is the early recycling of image numbers, once copied to my computer. If one thematic folder happened to already host an older image with that number, this image will be destroyed and replaced, which is really bad. Plus, the incorrect ordering. (I already suffered a normal cycling once). I can't change the fact that Canon set none-unique (e.g. date based) or not-long (5-9 digits) numbers, so the only thing I can do is to have numbering progressing slowly. A jump of 5700 over 9900 is clearly not that way.



Answer




Ok, here is a working solution:




  • On the regular SD card, renum & displace (or delete) the images with jumped numbers, delete their abnormal directory, and possibly its corresponding CFG file in CANONMSC.




  • Insert in your camera an unused spared SD card. Set numbering pref to auto-reset in your camera, and format the card. Possibly, take on picture to be sure to reset your camera internal counter. Then re-set the numbering flag to continuous numbering if you wish.




  • Now when you reinsert your regular card, numbering should resume to its normal sequence.





Note that this also suggests, when borrowing someone else camera, to first use it to reformat (the way above) a spare SD card to avoid the problem. And possibly, to do the same thing after your use of the camera, to not scramble you friend sequence on his ordinary SD. (i.e. reseting the internal camera counter again, so that it restart freshly with the highest number found on the next entered card).


(thanks to people here for inspiring discussion !)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...