Sunday 14 April 2019

paper - What print media works best for framed prints behind glass?


I am planning to take a A3 printout of my family photo & frame it. The frame is made of antique wood with clear glass on it. The glass has to be present so which type of photo print I need to take to make the colors in the photo really pop ?


Should I take a:




  1. Matte Print

  2. Glossy Print

  3. Matte print with glossy lamination

  4. Glossy print with matte lamination

  5. Glossy print with glossy lamination

  6. Matte print with matte lamination

  7. Canvas print


There are other print papers that the store guy was mentioning, but you get the idea.


I tried Matte print (option 1). It looked a bit dull & unrefined. I also tried Glossy print (option 2) but it is not great either, and after sometime started to stick to the glass.



Which photo print is best for showcasing behind a glass frame?



Answer



I run a print business and have tried a LOT of papers...


My favourite by a long way for framing is "semi-gloss" or "Lustre" - which has a slightly textured glossy surface - a bit like old silver-halide "Wedding paper" as I'd call it. The Lustre finish has a slightly more pronounced texture.


Dont bother with lamination for a framed picture - it can detract from the depth of colour, particularly the matte.


A word of warning - let the print dry for AT LEAST a day before framing it - otherwise, even though it may feel dry, it wont be, and the inside of your frame will fog up over the next few days, and stay.


ETA: the media choice is also very much effected by the type of image that you are printing - for fine art B&W I really like Hahnemuhle fine art papers - they are textured matte, and HAVE TO BE printed on with Matte specific inks, otherwise black comes out a flat grey. Your situation - I would still go with semi-gloss/ lustre.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...