Wednesday 3 April 2019

flash - What third party Speedlites work best with Canon?


I am currently picking out a flash (speedlite) for Canon XSI. There is a number of third party flashes available from manufacturers other than Canon. They all claim to be Canon compatible but I have my doubts. I don't think any of those flash units work as great as ones made by Canon. I would like to know your opinion on the subject based on your expertise; what brands, models of third party speedlites work the best with Canon?


The most important features for me, that the flash must support are auto mode, zooming and e-ttl. For comparison it should be close in features to Speedlite 430EX II




Answer



Sigma flashes will do as claimed, so I think you're safe there. The only downside, from my experience, is that the interface for them is less then stellar. However, other than that, the flashes are very good.


Another, which is a cut above Sigma, is Metz. If Metz has claimed support for Canon, the flash will do what is advertised for it, the company has a long history and produces good gear.


So, caveat time, I don't shoot Canon, I shoot Pentax. However, I have a Sigma flash and a Metz ring flash and both work great for me. So, I am extrapolating the experience there, but given that, I have little reason to doubt either. Pentax is a lesser known quantity versus Nikon or Canon, so if they got P-TTL working, I'd imagine that the similar from the big two were less of a problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...