Friday 12 April 2019

noise - How can a newer camera increase ISO while decreasing pixel size?


I am a bit confused as I am considering to upgrade my canon 350D to 600D. The pixel size has reduced from 6.4 microns to 4.3 microns, however, top ISO has increased from 1600 to 6400. How did that happen? Shouldn't larger pixel have lesser noise? At which step/process did the noise actually reduce? The sensors should be shot noise limited and not read out limited.



Further, diffraction should also start having its influence at larger aperture with smaller pixel. Isn't it?


What is going on?


I would be glad to have a detailed technical explanation, if that can clarify my doubts.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...