Thursday 7 March 2019

What lighting equipment should I get on a very tight budget?


My birthday is coming up. I have about $150 to spend on some lighting equipment for home studio. I currently have a Nikon D90 and a decent Manfrotto tripod.


For my budget, what are my choices? I'm looking for at least 2 light sources, and preferably a 1.5' cubic feet light box too.


The purpose is to set up my basement as a home studio to take portrait shots, or photos of smaller objects (lightbox).




Answer



This might be a little unconventional, but my preference for fairly low cost lighting is to get a few of each of these:



I have a few of these and have been really pleased.


They work well in groups, the clamping makes them easy to line up wherever you need them, the CFL's use less power and generate less heat which is nice, and the daylight bulbs are very close to my on-board flash.


Also, there is a good tutorial for making a DIY Light Tent at digital-photography-school.com, which you could easily modify for whatever size you would like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...