Monday 11 March 2019

post processing - How can I reproduce the camera-internal postprocessing?


I just started playing around with raw images. When opening the raw image in Raw Therapee, it looks completely different than the JPEG produced by the camera:


Raw vs. JPEG



(left is raw, right is JPEG)


I figured if I was able to reproduce the camera-internal postprocessing, I would get a better understanding of what the camera does and what information is lost in the process. The problem is, I can't even get close to the JPEG!


So here's my question:


Is there any way to figure out what settings (roughly) in e.g. Raw Therapee correspond to the automatic postprocessing done by the camera? Or am I stuck with trial and error until I get a better feeling for the individual steps?



Answer



Well, I'm not entirely sure why you'd want to do that if that's the outcome! Itai's point is valid, but there are a few immediate things that are happening there:




  1. Noise reduction, quite heavy from the result.





  2. It's less bright and appears less contrasty.




  3. It's been sharpened, but the noise reduction on that has definitely lost detail to sharpen.




I think, just as matter of practice, I would probably worry less about getting it like the camera and more about getting it looking good. Which is not to say that the camera can't do that, but I find it's never quite what I would have chosen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...