Saturday 23 March 2019

shooting technique - What is the best way to avoid moon and light glare in night exposures without using photo editing software


I took this photo yesterday and although I love it, I wish It didn't have as much glare from the moon or the city lights. I know I could go into lightroom and photoshop and crop a new moon in, but I don't want to do that.


I'm looking to learn the technique that when I go on the field and shoot a similar photo again will help me avoid such glares.


night photo



Answer



Are you still wanting to include the moon in the shot? If so, then think about how you control flare during the daytime and shooting into strong light sources.



  • Use a hood to protect from off-axis flares that are outside of the field of view.

  • Remove any non-multicoated filters from the light path as these are sources of flare.


  • Stop down to improve the coma distortion from your lens.


If you don't need to include the moon as a light source, then you'll want to use a hood as you move the camera off center.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...