Saturday 16 March 2019

Preparing/using a camera color profile using IT8 target on Linux/Darktable


In my photo processing workflow I use Darktable to handle the CR2-to-TIFF/JPEG conversion, however I frequently struggle with getting the colors right. As the first step toward correct colors I am using a grey card to get an idea about white balance, but I wanted to go a step further and start getting a color profile.



My understanding of the process is that I get myself a (physical) IT8 target from some manufacturer, like Wolf Faust; they supply me with the printed target and a set of values specifying the calibrated color values for all the patches on the target. The process is then similar (in spirit) to using a grey card: I need to take a photograph of the IT8 target each time lighting conditions change.


Assuming the above description of camera profiling is correct, given a photograph of the target under the same lighting conditions as the photographs I want to color correct, how do I create a camera profile under Linux?


What software tools and in what way should I use? Can someone recommend a blog post/tutorial describing the process?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...