Thursday 14 March 2019

dslr - Should the depth of field in the viewfinder be the same as the final images with the aperture set to wide open?


When I take pictures of flowers, I often try to get the classic soft background around the in focus flower.


I have a canon t3i, and a lens that goes to f/2.8. I set that to wide open, take my photos, and get results I like.


However, whenever I am looking through the viewfinder, it always seems to appear with a much wider depth of field than the final images. Is that true, or am I just crazy? I thought that the whole point of the SLR type camera was so that what you see in the viewfinder is what you get. Is that just for framing and composition, or should it reflect the DOF accurately as well? Since I set the aperture to its max f/2.8, it shouldn't be any previewing behavior.


So am I really crazy, or is there a difference in DOF between the viewfinder and final image?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...