Saturday 1 December 2018

What workflow should I use for processing RAW photos in Lightroom?


I started shooting in RAW, and I use Adobe Lightroom.



What workflow would you recommend to use for the processing? I will really appreciate a detailed description of the steps (or a link to one).


Thank you



Answer



My workflow is pretty simple, as most of the heavy lifting is done in Photoshop, but Lightroom is often enough for simple shots.




  • Download the RAW files into a folder of your choice. I typically name them YYYYMMDD_NameOfShoot so it's relatively organised. For paid assignments I will also create separate folders for untouched RAW files, WIP files, and Finished files.




  • Go into the LR Library module and use Add Folder to import the files.





  • Proof them in the Library module. I will only spend time to process files that I like, and I junk those that are just bad. I use the Rating feature, giving one star for those that are technically correct ie correctly focused, correct DOF, etc.




  • Go through the one-star pics one more time by using the "Rated" filter, and add stars slowly, continuing to filter out the pics that do not tickle my fancy till I only see pics with a 5-star rating.-




  • This is where the processing begins really. I start with looking at white balance, then clipping highlights and shadows, recovering them as necessary, and adjusting exposure if needed.





  • Crop as needed.-




  • Then comes colour accuracy. You can
    tweak them using the HSL settings on the right.




  • Do some cleaning up via the Dust
    Removal tool.





  • Then comes sharpening. I typically
    add a smidgen of Clarity and
    Contrast.




  • If the pic needs more work, I edit it in Photoshop, then save the edits as a PSD.





  • Go back to Lightroom and Export as
    needed.




No one's workflow is exactly the same though, and I would suggest you play around in LR so you can find and refine your own workflow. It takes time, but it will not be wasted as you bring your images to life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...