Saturday 15 December 2018

equipment recommendation - Is a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 enough of a step up from a kit lens


A while back when I was buying my D90 (like many others) I picked up an 18-55mm VR/55-200mm VR kit for my hello into photography. These are still the only two lenses and I have gotten a lot out of them but now I have a big event comming up and am looking to upgrade my kit. I love my 18-55mm for all that it is worth and I have gotten a lot of use out of it but I am ready to get something a little more flexible for that focal range.



I've researched it as best as I know how and it looks like the most flexible option for a zoom within my budget is an F-mount Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 Di-II sans VC. (Never used VR on my kit anyway) The thing is, it looks like a $350 lens posing as a $2,000 one. I know the reviews indicate otherwise but I don't want to have the same experience with it as my little kit lens.


I'm not talking about my experience specifically but are third party lenses generally solid enough choices to keep in your bag?



Answer



I like mine a lot for indoor-shooting of parties. Nice and bright, have to step down a bit for max sharpness, but even then it will be brighter than your current 5.6 at the long end of 50mm.


At a wedding I saw it been used by the professional hired there for the people-shooting too (note 1: it was our wedding-photographer too, but we weren't the one who recommended him; note 2: he really wanted to have mine, because his looked looked a bit worn ;) ). Mine and his being sans VR, because VR does not help with the other people moving (stills of the surrounding best be done before night).


Generally I think that third-party-lenses can be a nice compromise between high prices and quality - and sometimes even the better choice if you don't find a prime fitting your niche.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...