Saturday 29 December 2018

dslr - Fixed Focal Length Lens for DX camera



I want to get a good Fixed Focal Length Lens with wide aperture for my Nikon D5300 which is a DX Camera and while searching for lens in India there were only 4 lens for DX compared to the 44 lens for FX body. Out of the 4 one was a Fisheye Lens so I have three choices. Should I get the DX model or choose from the FX lens. The focal length that I want is only available in the FX lens The Availabe Lens are:




  1. 35mm f/1.8

  2. 85mm f/3.5

  3. 40mm f/2.8


I wanted to get the AF-S 50mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.4 both of which are FX lenes. I am a little particular about the 50mm - 55mm as I feel that is the best focal length for the type of photos that I usually take. I am also open to other lens with lower focal length as I can always crop in post.


What should I do?



Answer



You're absolutely fine putting an FX lens on a DX body - it's the other way round that has issues with vignetting at the corners. If you ever move up to a full-frame body, you can take an FX lens with you.


Watch out for older lenses that need a motor in the camera to enable auto-focus. Newer lower-end cameras don't have a built-in motor & need the lens to have it built-in.


If you want a fast 50mm you can use the AF-S 1.8G or AF-S 1.4G but not the older AF 1.4 or 1.8D versions, you would lose auto-focus.

I have the AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G for my D5500 & it's just fabulous.


There is a confusing array of code letters on Nikon lenses, so if you are in doubt, check this answer to What do all those cryptic number and letter codes in a lens name mean? or Ken Rockwell's Compatibility List


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...