Monday 24 December 2018

How do you handle the varying sizes of filters in your kit?


I have a variety of Nikon DX lenses that take differently sized filters. Most take 52mm filters, but there are a few that take larger 67mm or 77mm filters. The advice I've read most commonly online is to buy one filter size and get filter conversion rings to step up to that size filter. In my case, the largest size appears to be 77mm.


So, I walked into a couple local photo shops and asked about 52mm-77mm filter conversion rings and they looked at me like I had two heads. One guy suggested I stack a 52mm-67m and a 67mm-77mm. I have found 52mm-77mm rings online, so I know they exist.


Is this not a common thing to do? How does the community handle the varying sizes of filters in their kit?


Thanks, PaulH



Answer



I handle it by not handling it. By which, I mean, I use Cokin filters so that all I need is the various adapter rings which are substantially cheaper than filters and so I can then re-use the filters from lens to lens. Alternative to Cokin are Lee Filters which are generally regarded as a higher grade, though I find Cokin to be fine for what I want.



Anyways, that's my approach.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...