Monday 3 December 2018

The ideal prime lens combo in the bag for full frame



I am moving up to a full-frame DSLR and I am considering the lenses I should have in my bag. I have shot mostly with prime lenses (35mm and 50mm on APS-C) because I absolutely love the quality of the pic and I don't really mind using my leg to get more/less range.


My 35mm is an APS-C lens (DX in Nikon's world), so I am planning to just sell it. To fill the gap, I am thinking instead of getting a 28mm and maybe also a 85mm.


I am curious what the typical prime lens combo looks like for someone shooting mainly trips (landscape) and events (people). Is 28mm too wide or 85mm too narrow to be practical?



Answer




To replicate the same field of view that you are currently experiencing with your crop sensor camera, a 50mm and 85mm should do the trick.


However, IMO, I would highly suggest a 24mm for landscapes since you're already used to a not-too-wide 35mm, and it's somewhat affordable. I personally would go for the 14mm prime for landscapes, but this can be pretty expensive and can sometimes be too wide if you're not used to shooting with that type of lens.


For people shots, I would have to say the venerable 50mm would be your safest choice as it can be used for most everything else, especially general travel snaps. If you know for sure you're doing only portraits and think most of those are going to be 3/4 body shots (or tighter), that's where I say the 85mm comes into play.


For my equipment lineup (crop sensor rig), I have a 17-55 zoom, 50 and 85 f/1.8 primes. I never leave home without at least these three lenses.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...