Tuesday 17 April 2018

panorama - How can I align two panoramic images?


I have two panoramas, which are already stitched. They were taken four years apart, of the same town from the same location. I want to align them and show them side by side, so that the viewer can easily compare them and see the development of the town. I have manually added some control points in hugin. They can be seen here.


The problem is that hugin aligns the two images badly. Some matching points are hundreds meters off. I guess problem here is that hugin only reads photos from cameras, but not already-stitched images, which have complex distortions. For a panoramic input image, how to find the type of lens and degree of view? Is hugin the wrong tool?


Edit: Just for the record, I have solved the problem using curve fitting manually. The details can be found here.



Answer




How about just cutting the excess material off the new panorama? I don't think any program can nicely align the two panoramas you have, and still keep the both photos the same size. Look at this one, if it is even close to what you wanted? I made it with a simple editing program, mainly a cut-resize-paste job.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...