Saturday 28 April 2018

lens - What differences exist between third-party and official lenses for Canon APS-C DSLRs?


I am just another guy who just taken up photography as a social hobby who enjoys taking pics of everyday life, social events / parties & some portraits. Need camera for short overseas trip (2-3 times a year), maybe some landscape pics.


I have done some research and have come up a list of main lenses that I am considering and hope you guys can offer some advice / comments to whether I should make those purchases.


Main reason why I chose "third party lenses" 'cos apparently they cost less, newer and are "award winning" - so I don't see the point of spending more for the original canon lens (which some maybe quite old - ie 3-5 yrs).



  1. Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM Lens (day to day lens)


  2. Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM (for portrait & bokeh effects)

  3. Wide angle lens (any suggestions)


Main questions / comments please...



  • Q1) What do you think of the lens choices that I have decided to build my kit?

  • Q2) Any wide angle lens that you will recommend? (third party or canon) or should I get wide angle zoom lens ?

  • Q3) What are your thoughts that I chose all my lens from Third Party instead of Official Canon ones... is that a "smart move"?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...