Sunday 5 June 2016

Is there any benefit to using a battery grip in frigid weather?


Given that being out in the cold for any length of time is sure to zap a battery...is there much of a benefit to using a battery grip (and thus having two batteries in the camera)? Or would doing so simply increase the need to have more spare batteries waiting in a warm pocket?


My intended gear is a 5D mk II and I do have the grip and two batteries. I don't have the AA tray but could probably procure it if need be. Same with extra batteries.


So for a day of shooting - is the best practice to use one battery in camera, one in the pocket...two in the camera (and buy more for in the pocket)...Or load up on AA's.


(Keeping in mind that I'm trying to spend the least amount of money on this, as getting to Iceland, Finland, and Russia from the US isn't exactly cheap)



Answer




My experience:


Temperature -45C. Standard lithium battery for Olympus E-3 has weakened after about 25 shots. Grip with 6x lithium iron phosphate batteries (every is 1200 mAh, but I doubt it's correct value - they were bought on e-bay) has allowed me to take about 300 photos during 40-minute walking and then still has been in good mode.


So for very cold temperatures (I live in Siberia) I always use LiFePO4-batteries.


Update 1. Photo was taken about minus 33 Celsium (just for fun not as proof :) )


dance for the glory of the sun


Update 2. But this one was taken when it was about minus 50.


a forest near my home


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...