Wednesday 1 June 2016

technique - How to get more pin sharp shots with a lens known for inaccurate autofocus?


I have the Tamron 70-200/2.8 Macro lens (used on a Nikon D800), which is known for its inaccurate autofocus. Since I cannot rely on the lens to achieve accurate focus every time, the rational thing to do is to adopt some techniques in order to maximize my keep-rate. Does anyone have any tips or good strategies for getting more in-focus shots?


I was thinking that I should focus on something else and then refocus after every shot. This takes time, but if the lens only nails the focus every 5 in 10, then I should get 50% in-focus shots on average. Manually focusing with the live view screen becomes difficult at 200mm when handheld, but for all landscape shots I take I'm usually on a tripod, and then can I can focus manually easily.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...