Tuesday 7 June 2016

canon - Should I go 5D Mark II or 7D?


Today I own a Digital Rebel XSi and the only EF-S lens I have are those that came in the kit.


I've been reading a lot trying to decide for my next body, but oh boy, what a tough decision!


I'm between the 5D Mark II and the 7D.


Among the type of pictures I plan to take are:



  • Portraits;

  • Landscape/Nature

  • Pictures at parties and other environments in low light condition.



Should I go 5D Mark II or 7D?


Updated for clarification:


"the only EF-S lens I have are those that came in the kit." does not mean I only have the kit lens. It means my investment in EF-S lenses is limited to those that came in the kit. Besides the kit lens, I do also have a EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and a EF 50mm f / 1.2L USM. Neither of which are EF-S lenses.


I also have a Speedlite 580EX II.


I have found that under some situations where I can't use the speedlite, I have already maxed out shutter speed, aperture and ISO settings on my XSi. That's the reason for wanting to upgrade to a body that offers better ISO and performance under low light conditions.



Answer



It depends on what you want out of a body upgrade. If you want certain features, better build quality, handling, ergonomics, or user interface, then you should pick one of those bodies.


If you want better pictures, then do not upgrade your body. I think you would get a lot more out of buying better glass and a lighting setup(for portraits and indoor) for your XSi. With the kit lens, you are severely holding back your XSi. The XSi is capable of stunning images.


Glass, technique, and post processing are the most important when taking the shots you have mentioned. In sports, you do get limited earlier by a lower body for predictive AF, but an entry level with great glass can still produce stunning sports photos. And a body like the 7D will still produce stunning portraits, landscapes, and low light party photos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...