Friday 10 June 2016

Is it possible to pre-calculate white balance gains from a sample image


Let me try to explain the question in more detail.


Let's suppose:



  • I have a camera taking images in a dynamic environment (colour temperature is constantly changing)

  • I cannot use automatic in-camera white balancing or it is not available

  • I have software running and controlling the camera that I could utilise for white balancing

  • I have a "target" temperature



Now please do correct me as I may completely be making a wrong assumption on how white balancing works. However, is it possible:


During the capturing run, take a sample image, calculate the white balance corrections and apply them as camera colour gains (Red gain and blue gain) or perhaps adjusting the chromatic gains (U and V)?


To try to summarise:


What I want to create is an automated white balancing system that takes in the desired temperature and based on a sample image calculates "future" red/blue gains or U/V gains. Do modern cameras when setting the temperature do this or do they simply post-process?


Many thanks in advance and I do really understand that I might be completely wrong and such a thing is not possible, since all my research I am doing is describing how to change an image that has been already taken.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...