Thursday 2 June 2016

What to do with an old film camera?


Over the years, I've progressively inherited 4 different cameras from my father, the last one is a DSLR, so the three others are pretty much unused now.


I can't bring myself to throw them away, but I'm not sure that there's anything more useful to be done with them.


Any ideas?


For the curious, in order they are:



  • Miranda MS-1N


  • Chinon CE-4

  • Pentax MZ-6


And the DSLR is a Pentax *ist DS



Answer



Summary of Options (wiki)




  • Keep for posterity


    Personally, this is my favourite, because objects we think of as junk to be thrown away are really part of history. I put this into practice often. (My wife does not see things from quite such an historical perspective, however ;)






  • Keep using to take pictures


    Get some film and keep on using them. Enjoy the deep colors, high resolution, and all-round analogue awesomeness of a chemical camera!





  • Use lenses with a mirrorless body






  • Give to people who will use them


    This is probably the most constructive and generous idea so far. It's definitely the one to follow if you haven't got the space to keep them for posterity, you don't need to sell them for cash and you don't have a project to use them in.





  • Sell on eBay


    Like giving them away, but with a little bonus for you. :)






  • Salvage what you can for other projects


    This wouldn't be my choice, because I am a complete klutz, and totally incapable of projects like this! ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...