Sunday 24 February 2019

terminology - What causes blue and red gradient/shade around black spots in photos?



Right now I'm trying to improve the sharpness of my photos, and for that I've checking if my D7000 has some autofocus issues. Therefore I tested my 35mm f/1.8G and my 50mm f/1.4G. I figured that the autofocus for both lenses is correct, so I probably have to learn to use it in a better way.



While testing I started to read a little more (eg. here) about the correct aperture for the sharpness and I've learned of the sweet point of each lens. But even with optimized condition I encounter a blue and red gradient in the black square of my test photo.


What do you call this gradient and what is it the result of?




Example details of shot with of my 35mm prime; the only after-work I did is to crop and to set the exposure of the images (same style for each photo):




  • ISO 400 1/60 f/1.8: example 01




  • ISO 400 1/60 f/5: example 02





  • ISO 400 1/60 f/8: example 03




You can see the blue and red gradient or shade I'm trying to learn about even better when you zoom in:



  • ISO 400 1/60 f/8: detail



Answer




The term is chromatic aberration. Is is explained in detail here:


What is Chromatic Aberration?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...