Friday 1 February 2019

human vision system - Is it possible to be color-blind and still be a good photographer?


Is it possible to be colour-blind (or color-blind, in the US) and still be a good photographer?


Are there any steps one can take to mitigate the effects of colour-blindness? Can you point me to any great photographers who are colour-blind?


The obvious answer which comes to mind is to shoot black and white, but is that really a sensible answer? Does colour-blindness affect one's perception of greyscales?




Answer



I'm color blind (or rather have a color vision deficiency). Specifically my eyes are less sensetive to red light than other colors.


I can't really say that I suffer from it. It makes it harder to pick lingonberries, and I have problem reading tiny red text on a black background, but that's about it.


I might perhaps photograph red objects differently, as I don't experience them as brightly as most do. Post processing images and adjusting white balance is not a problem, though. I am used to how red things look like, so when I adjust the image so that they look right, it will look right to others too even if they actually experience the image differently.


(Yes, I know that my avatar image is orange. I don't think that it's a nice grayscale... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...