Sunday 17 February 2019

Why can't I see photos from my Nikon camera after upgrading to Windows 10?


I had recently upgraded to windows 10 and now Windows and Lightroom don't "see" the photos on my D5100. I am able to transfer them to the PC through viewNX but this is not a pleasant solution.


When I go to the folder where the photos should be while using Windows Exploror, the folder is void even if the card is shown to have a certain space full. When I right click and try to do "import photos and videos" it just says no photos to import, same stuff in lightroom. NX works fine. How can I solve this?



Answer




This is now fixed in one of the recent (this week)'s windows updates. Just do a Windows Update, restart your PC as prompted to ensure installation, and try again. You will see that the issue has now gone away.




Many people, including me, are reporting this problem. See Window 10 and Nikon D7000 dslr on Microsoft's support forum.


It appears to be a problem with the MTP protocol implementation in this build of Win 10. As you note Nikon's own software products work fine.


On July 31, 2015, a Microsoft representative noted:



This is a known issue and we are rapidly working on a fix.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...