Monday 4 February 2019

How can I get a pure white background in jewelry photography, without losing sparkle and shine?


I've read through several threads similar to this, but I'm looking for a comparison of two options here.


I currently take photos on a raised glass platform against a white foam board background and run about 300w of lights (3 100x LEDs @ 5000k, Home Depot Specials in softboxes and umbrellas). As you can imagine, it takes me about 15 minutes of post processing to achieve a perfect white background, and sometimes I have a particular photo that I am unable to get there.


I want to upgrade to either a photography table with a translucent background that I can place a speedlight under, or a cyclorama infinity background such as the MyStudio MS20. The latter option may require an upgrade to my lighting, which I am planning to do anyways.


The idea of course is to get a blown out 255 background with no post processing, other than color correction on the jewelry or product as needed. This would cut my time after the shoot to a ridiculously small amount of time.


Which option would make my life easier?


For reference, I currently use a D5300 with a Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro lens.


This is the best shot I got after quite a lot of effort, before and after processing:



Before


After


Note that the silver is not shiny like it should be, and the sparkle on the gems is lost.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...