Monday 4 February 2019

manual focus - In film cameras with film advance levers, what happens if I don't crank the lever all the way?


In film cameras with film advance levers, what happens if I don't crank the lever all the way? Will the lever 'remember' the last position it was at and keep the shutter button locked until I crank it the rest of the way, or will the film only advance half a frame and I'll double expose half of the previous frame?



Answer



It depends on the camera. Most 35mm film cameras (especially more "modern" ones :) do two things when you wind on - they advance the film roll by a frame and they reset the shutter curtains to the start position. My last 35mm film camera (a Praktica SLR) wouldn't allow the shutter button to be pressed unless I'd fully wound on. However, there was a button I could press while winding on to disengage the film-winding mechanism: this would result in the shutter being reset but the film left in place and could be used for double exposures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Why is the front element of a telephoto lens larger than a wide angle lens?

A wide angle lens has a wide angle of view, therefore it would make sense that the front of the lens would also be wide. A telephoto lens ha...